Some of the most bothersome things that can happen to anyone wearing glasses or using optical instruments (microscopes, telescopes, camera lenses, etc.) is the reflection. A reflection is produced whenever light passes through two mediums with different refractive indexes.
With this in mind, some of the light passing through them bounces back from the surface (oftentimes called an interface). The remaining light passes through the lens. Due to this phenomenon, visual acuity and image contrast are oftentimes affected.
As such, some optical companies like the ECI use techniques to reduce the occurrence of these reflections. With lesser reflections come better vision, hence, better image contrast. This technique we’re referring to is otherwise known as optical coatings.
As there are different kinds of optical coatings, we cannot fully discuss them here one by one. However, we need to know why it’s important to look for a high-end company that specializes in this process.
Why only high-end companies produce high quality optical coatings
- Different coatings require different coating technologies to be used.
- Prior the process of producing coatings, one should determine their end-goal
- Determining the end-goal would mean accurately pinpointing the right coatings to be used , consequently using the right technique
- Different coating techniques require different wavelengths.
- Choosing a thin-film to be used is usually determined by reflection or transmission requirements according to the light’s wavelength.
- Proper identification of the wavelength would help determine the need for a single or multilayer coating
- Hiring of expert individuals in the field
- Not everyone is an expert in the field of optical coatings
- Company hires optical engineers who are well-versed with the correct coating for your specific application
- Personalized service
- Different specifications require different techniques and processes to be used to achieve the customer’s wish
- Competitive pricing
- Gives an honest quotation of the entire process
With all these in mind, a high-end company can only provide quality yet affordable optical coating services to their customers.